Saturday, August 20, 2011

Scientists Reveal That Seeing Eye To Eye Is Key To Copying, With Implications For Autism Research

Scientists Reveal That Seeing Eye To Eye Is Key To Copying, With Implications For Autism Research



After all is said and done, it seems that things I have been making my son do since he was very young is the right thing to do for him.

"In a study published this week in the Journal of Neuroscience, a team of scientists from the University's School of Psychology show that eye contact seems to act as an invitation for mimicry, triggering mechanisms in the frontal region of the brain that control imitation. "

In this day and age people are mostly found hiding behind computers or so busy they dont make eye contact during most social interactions. I was always taught that in order to talk with someone you look at them, that way they know you are listening. Just like when you talk you look at them to see if they are listening, or if its a subject they would continue further. So, I have no issue with looking at my son ( who has Pervasive Developmental Disorder, not otherwise specified.) And in turn, he has rewarded me, on many occasions, of mimicking my actions, use of words and other behaviors. Most good, but others not so good.

Not every child with Autism will look a person in the face. Yet, I have noticed that children who have had the benefit of early intervention most commonly can do so in small amounts. My son being one of those children. Now, when he does something wrong, I will call him over, gently grasp his face and look directly into his eyes and tell him what he did wrong. When it's something that hurt someone, he usually shies away from me. Yet, I have found that he does it because he feels badly and has no idea how to express that. He has trouble saying sorry, even tho he very obviously is.
Most parents would not agree that me forcing my son to look me in the eyes is good, but I have found that once he was able to be redirected or lead to do things he didnt prefer before, I could start to set some rules down. But the only way I could do that was to make sure he looked at me, understood and seen what I meant.
By that I mean I commonly looked him in the eye, explained and then acted out how things should and shouldnt be done.

I hope you all enjoy the reading material I supplied in the link at the top of the page. I think it is very very useful information and should help so many young children and adults!
If you have any subjects you would like to see me cover, please let me know.

I also know that my blog has been blank for a while now, but with summer and life being absolutely out of control for over a month, I just have not had the opportunity to write like I would like to do.
Once again, I am sorry for this and now that school is starting up again, I should be able to do so now.

1 comment:

  1. This is so great! You sound like you've really taken the time to learn what works best for your son's own personality. I hope I remember where to find your blog should I ever have a friend who could use these resources! (or if I need them myself! :)


    Sarah
    lostinavalon @ SwapBot
    Check Out My Blog swap

    ReplyDelete